Saturday, November 30, 2013

Catching Up #4

Thanksgiving.
This year we spent Thanksgiving with the Skabelunds. Also this year I did not work on Thanksgiving- no one understands how un-fun it is to work on Thanksgiving unless you have done it more than once. So this was a good day.

For the grand feast, Shelley gave me her list of fixin's- there were no Sweet Potatoes on her list so I asked if I could bring those. I expected that I would be the only one eating them, that's ok. My mom found a Ruth's Chris Sweet Potato Casserole recipe that she suggested that I use. If you don't remember how I feel about Ruth's Chris Steakhouse, you should probably re-visit THIS POST.

Otherwise, you should try this recipe.

Topping:
-1 Cup Brown Sugar (You could probably get away with 3/4 Cup)
-1/3 Cup Flour
-1 Cup Chopped Nuts (Pecans preferred) (I got really small, finely chopped- Not a huge nut fan, smaller makes them better)
-1/2 Cup Butter, Melted

Sweet Potato Mixture:
-3 Cups Mashed Sweet Potatoes (you can use canned to save time) (I didn't, I bought 2 sweet potatoes, not huge. Baked them the night before 350* for about an hour- until they were soft- like a baked potato!)
-1 Cup Sugar
-1/2 Teaspoon Salt
-1 Teaspoon Vanilla
-2 Eggs (well beaten)
-1/4 Cup Butter, Melted

Directions:
- Combine brown sugar, flour, nuts and butter in mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375*.
- Combine sweet potatoes, sugar, salt, vanilla, eggs and butter in a mixing bowl in the order listed. Mix thoroughly. 
- Pour mixture into buttered baking dish and bake for 25-30 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle the surface of the sweet potato mixture evenly with the crust mixture.
- Bake for 10 additional minutes. Allow to set for 30 minutes before serving.
- (I also broiled some marshmallows on top of the casserole. They were unnecessary. It would have been supremely delicious without them.)

I was not the only one to eat them! Matthew, Marty, and Becky all tried it. Another win for Liz.

And this is our pre-Thanksgiving picture.
Just Beautiful Photography
Look at that belly. You're welcome.

2 comments: