Monday, September 3, 2012

SCED 4200: Introduction

Hello all, I am Liz Skabelund. I am studying Social Studies Composite Teaching. I would love to teach 9th grade Geography or US History in high school.
 
In my time away from school and work I enjoy hanging out with my husband, Matthew.
 
I also love to read, watch movies, sew quilts, and lounge around.
 
Formerly Liz Mortensen of the Mortensen clan of Syracuse, UT. I am the 3rd child out of 9. Graduated high school in '07 from Clearfield High School. I have been studying at Utah State University since that fall. (Don't even start talking to me about how long I've been studying, I'm almost done)
 
I want to teach social studies because when I was going to school, those were the classes that I enjoyed the most. I had teachers that engaged the class, brought in new mediums to teach us with, and listened to the concerns of their students. These teachers made the classes enjoyable for me.
 
What is literacy to me? I think in class the other day I defined it as: the ability to read and/or understand and then apply information that is presented through text, object, lecture, conversation, observation, or other form of communication. (or something like that)

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on your recent marriage! That's great that you want to teach geography; to me, that discipline has a great potential to make students more empathetic, informed, and excited about the vast and varied world around them. Thanks for your posting; I look forward to reading more in the future.

    ReplyDelete