Wednesday, October 10, 2012

SCED 4200: Blog Post 3

Connecting School and Home Experiences
 
I don't remember having 'prototypical' experiences with social studies.
Actually, now that I think about it, my parents took us to some historical monuments when we were little.
 
I remember going to Promontory Point when I was younger. We went to the railroad site, went into the visitor center, watched the show, it was a lot of fun for me as a kid.
 
That's the only one that I can think of off the top of my head right this minute.
 
SO. I can see some ways to draw students' background knowledge in the social studies curriculum.
In geography, we can call on any memories of places that students have lived or visited and note the differences.
In U.S. history, students can bring in what they know of their families lives and heritage while living in the United States.
 
Lots of past experiences can help students to draw ties from social studies to their own lives.

3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading this blog. It was hard for me to think about my home experiences relating to my subject as well. But the more I thought about the more I think you are right when you say the students can bring in what they know of their families lives and heritage. I think that can be one of the coolest ways to help students be interested in history. Most people enjoy learning about their families heritage.
    I also went to Promontory Point but more recently while I was taking a group of kids out their. It is a long ways out in the middle of nowhere! I thought it was a long way to go look at railroad tracks, and I am a history major! You are definitely in the right major if you think that drive is worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good connection examples. Can't say I knew what Promontory Point was. Thank you for including the link. I felt pretty sheepish when I figured out what it was, cause I didn't recognize it by name. I liked your geography example especially, that could be an eye-opener for a lot of students. Thanks for a great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I think vacations and local history can be a "fund of knowledge" that you draw from when you teach your students. I said this on Tyler's blog too, but I think it would be great if you asked students at the beginning of the year to write down if they've ever been on any vacations, and then asked them to share their experiences (and artifacts) in your geography class. When I taught in Utah, I also found that many students had older siblings that had served missions and when their families talked to our class and shared items from those countries, students perked up and were interested.

    Thanks for your posting. :)

    ReplyDelete