Sunday, June 24, 2012

We LOVE Crepe Sundays

Before we got married we talked about having crepes at least one Sunday each month and a family member would be in charge of choosing their favorite crepe topping for that month. We've done pretty well with it so far, I mean, we've only had crepe Sunday about 3 times since last May, but at least we had some! Today was Stake Conference, we slept in and had crepes. You're welcome Matthew. This recipe is from the all-famous Killpack Cookbook. (SHOUTOUT) Its nearly impossible to grow up in Syracuse and not leave with one (that's a good thing).

Egg Cakes (Crepes, duh.) (from Brian Wallace)

1 Cup Flour
1 1/2 Cups Milk
2 Eggs
3 Tablespoons Sugar
1 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil
1/8 Teaspoon Salt  (I just realized as I'm typing this, that I forgot the salt. Whoops.)

In a blender, combine all ingredients together adding flour last.  Blend together on low until smooth.  Heat an 8" skillet and spray surface with non-stick cooking oil.  Pour slowly and tilt pan from side to side until batter covers bottom.  Cook until first side begins to turn golden brown then flip over using a rubber spatula.  Makes approximately 10-12 crepes.

So, I didn't use a blender. Have we talked about my kitchen yet? How about my 100 year old house? Our whole upstairs apartment runs on ONE electrical breaker. When we use too many appliances at the same time, we flip the breaker. If the ac is ever turned on and you want to use anything else in the kitchen (like the microwave, mixer, blender) you most def have to turn the ac off while using the other appliance. This morning, I. Was. Hot. So I didn't turn of the ac. Or use the blender. I mixed it all up in a bowl. Old school.

When you put the batter into the skillet/ frying pan, swirl it around in a circle so that your crepes are circular and evenly battered all around. I usually end up with a baby crepe for my first and last crepes. Its ok, they still taste good.

Today we ate our crepes with Nutella, strawberries, peanut butter, and whipped cream. We are legit when it comes to crepes. And we like them. The end.

3 comments:

  1. You rock and so does this blog. LOVE IT!!! And I too, love the Killpack cookbook. Yum-o!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm....I thought Becky was the only crepe lover in the fam!

    ReplyDelete